Brewer’s Log Brew Date 10-1-10 1429
Today was brew day. My shortest time between brew days yet. I brewed an Dry Irish Dy Stout. I’ve named it after my Daughter Lorelei Shay.
It went very smooth today. I don’t think I had any mistakes that I discovered yet. The mash went smooth. I used my Rubbermaid cooler converted to a mash tun. As you can see, it is not very full because this is a fairly low gravity beer at a predicted/target OG 1.039. I mashed for an hour. My target dough-in temperature was 149F. I hit 150F, so I was happy with that. The lower thermal mass of the small batch allowed it to cool fairly quickly. It fell about 5F or 6F every 15 minutes so need to add some near boiling water each time I checked and stirred the mash. This kept it between 146F and 152F for the 65 minutes I mashed. Not too bad.
So I based this Dry Irish Stout loosely on Beamish. The malt bill is based on clone recipes I found for Beamish on the web. The hop bill is not. As with most of my hop bills they are based on what I have in the freezer. I used Nugget for bittering again, 0.6 oz (at 60 minute) of the 1.6 oz left over from the accident during the IPA brew day. I also added 0.5 oz of Fuggles for bittering at 60 minutes as well. The flavor hops were 0.5 oz of Williamette at 15 minutes. Most Dry Stout recipes dn’t call for aroma hops but the pack of Fuggles that I opened was 0.75 oz, so I chucked the remaining 0.25 oz in at Flame out and let steep for about 20 minutes. My kettle additions are pictured to left. From left to right, bittering hops, flavor hops and whirlfloc,yeast nutrients, 6 oz cane sugar, aroma hops.
Coming Up To a Boil
I modified the amount of water that I need to boil for 5.5 gallon batches, lesson learned from the last batch. My kettle appeared to boil off 25% an hour after the last batch. So for a 5.5 gallon batch, I need 7.33 gallons. As it turns out, my evaporation rate is probably something closer to 20-22% because I ended up of about 5 2/3 to 5 3/4 gallons after this batch. The boil kettle starting to come to a boil is pictured to thefar right. It is nice and dark, like it should be.
Fermenter with Wick Cooler
I added a picture of the boil at the near right because while I was looking at the photos, I remembered that I did have a mishap during this session. Notice the wort chiller in the pot, well one of the tubes caught on fire because it was hanging down touching the burner. No big deal, I put the fire out and just shortened the tube. I guess o brew session can go without a mishap.
I got my best efficiency yet with this batch. The OG came out at 1.041, about 2 point higher than predicted using 63% efficiency in the calculations. This higher OG combined with the large batch size, put my efficiency at about 69%.
The photo to the left is the wort in the fermenter with the wick cooler set up. This is a t-shirt draped over the fermenter with the fermenter in another container with a few inches of water. The water rises up through the t-shirt and when air passes over it, it actually removes heat from the fermenter. Nice. This system can be improved further by blowing a fan across the set up. I don’t need the fan because it is cool enough in my laundry room to go without.
So, I’ll post some gravity checks in 7-10 days.